Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Reading slump

So, since I attended law school I stopped reading for pleasure until recently. Around the age of 23 I started to notice my far sighted vision waning. I remember sitting in the back (I always sat in the back near the exit) of a huge lecture class at Cal State and the black board being blurry. I had to actually squint to read the board. Alas, I always had perfect vision! Of course, I ignored it and sat a few rows closer.

I started law school in the fall of '01. If I could describe what law school is like in one word it would be "reading." That is all I did. My eyes would burn so bad from being so strained. In law school all the classrooms had white boards with those magic erasers. I seemed to have even more trouble trying to read them so I had to sit at least in the middle of the class (still near the exit) in order to read the dang board. I finally gave in and got my eyes examined during (I think) my second year of law school. Of course it turned out I needed them and I got these really cute (I thought, anyway) dark blue glasses. At first, I liked the way they looked on me; then I started feeling self conscious and would take them off when I didn't think I needed to see. I got over that when I got too blind. It didn't help my confidence when one of my professors (Con-law ;) pointed out that my glasses were odd. Mind you, this came from a man who resembled Mr. Magoo.

Anyway, back to the subject. So during law school then on to a real job as an attorney my eyes would hurt so bad from reading and staring at the computer that I didn't read for pleasure anymore. I didn't even want to look at a book if I didn't have to. This was sad because I loved to read.

Just last year, my brother (in law) talked me into reading the Harry Potter collection. I started with the first (he insisted) even though I already saw all of the movies. I could not put them down. I was enthralled with them. When I finished the entire set a couple of months ago I was actually depressed about it. He warned me that I would be. I had to find something to fill the Harry Potter void, if you will. I saw Wicked at the theater, so my friend suggested reading the other books by that author. So, if you are familiar with that author, Gregory Maguire you know he basically takes fairy tales and tells the story of the evil doer. So, I opted to read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, the story of Cinderella. I read it and it was okay; but no Harry Potter.

Now I am reading Fangland. It is a vampire novel. I loved some of the old Anne Rice books so I thought I would try the vampire genre. I must say the book has my attention. I like it. Books can be such a gamble and since I am already more than half way through - soon I will have to search for another book to fill my Harry Potter void.

No comments: