Wednesday, August 27, 2008

How Two D's met

I was inspired by my buddy, Jules to write about how I met my mister, Darrell. First things first, yes, my name is Darla and his name is Darrell. Kismet right?

Lets go back to a time when I was 20 years old, a student at VVC and lived in Apple Valley. My best friend, Theresa started work at a pizza place, the name of it escapes me. When I wasn't in school I would try to spend every second with Theresa so when she had to work it was a real bummer. So, I had the bright idea of crashing her workplace. Once I did, I realized her co-workers were super cool and so I would crash often. Two sons of the owner, Jeff and Chris worked there and they were a riot. I would help out of course, since I was there anyway, by snapping wet towels at them and laughing at their jokes.

After a few visits, the manager, Carrie invited her co-workers and me, the work crasher over her house for a party. She was a wee bit older so she actually had her own pad. One of the brothers, Jeff I had a bit of a crush on so I was really excited he was going to be there. Remember the Red Hots, Jeff?

Theresa and I went to the party. Music was playing probably Korn (at the time I hated Korn thought it was devil music) we had a few drinks, probably Smirnoff or some other wine cooler. I remember vividly the moment I saw Darrell. I was sitting on the sofa (yes a sofa, not a couch) facing the front door in the living room. In walks Jeff. I was excited to see him. Wait, someone is with him. Wait another guy is trailing him wearing a sweatshirt and a beanie with long dishwater blond hair down his back. It is important to point out I do not like long hair. That isn't my bag, baby. Although, I did love Brad Pitt in Legends of the Fall, but that doesn't count.



He walked in and sat down on the other sofa against the wall. He didn't say "hi" or make eye contact with me. Being the snob that I was I went to the kitchen and told Theresa and Carrie that he was weird. Nice huh? My initial reaction of the soon to be love of my life was he was weird. I could have said introvert or quiet or a bit shy no I said he was a weirdo.

The other thing I remember from that night was sitting on the sofa next to Jeff and Darrell. Jeff was next to me and Darrell on the other side of him. Jeff and I were talking and I remember a quick switcharoo of seats between Jeff and Darrell so that suddenly Darrell was sitting next to me. Real slick boys. As I said, I had a crush on Jeff and Jeff had a girlfriend so it wasn't in the cards for us. Now Darrell of course, does not remember the sofa switcharoo. But I remember it and it did happen. I remember laughing at them in my head.

As for the rest of the night it is a blur. It was over 10 years ago and memory is not my strong suit. We had several more parties at Carrie's home after that and soon the highlight of the parties was Jeff, and yes, Darrell. Love at first sight is definitely not our story. If you would have told me I would marry that man 7 years later I would have died laughing. I guess I should mention that he didn't think much of me either in fact he thought I was a stuck up bitch. I guess we weren't the best judges of character at that age.

The story gets better or worse from there. At first I was not interested in Darrell but someone else who I loved dearly was.

No comments: